Skin Changer

[Reviews - 4] starstarstarstar
Printer

[Wicked/Wizard of Oz] What if Glinda did get on Elphaba's broom? This story is a very long answer to a very short question. [Genfic mixed with fluff, Gelphie and more, T+, minor character death, novella]

Categories: Non-Elsanna; Characters: None; Angst Level: (2) Some
Fluff Level: (3) Comfortable
Genre: Adventure, Angst, Family, Fantasy, Friendship, General, Humor, Romance, Slow Burn
Incest: No
Sexual Content: (3) Minor
Warnings: None

Challenges: ; Series: None
Chapters: 28; Completed: Yes
Word count: 143318 Read: 381
Published: 31 Oct 2017 Updated: 15 Jun 2019
Story Notes:

Characters, settings, and selected lyrics © L. Frank Baum, Gregory Maguire, Stephen Schwartz and Winnie Holzman. This story, original characters and plot elements ©2016-2017 me. All rights reserved.

NOTE: Rated T for Teen. Will contain occasional nigh-NSFW moments, including sensuality and mild gore, but nothing out of place in a PG or PG-13 movie. TRIGGER WARNING: there will be some racism and an attempted sexual assault in later chapters. See below for more notes!

1. Chapter 1 by forkanna [Reviews - 1] starstarstarhalf-star (2286 words)

2. Chapter 2 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (2377 words)

Happy New Year! Let's get underway! I know these chapters are a bit short, but I'll try to crank out one a week or so. Keep things moving along. Enjoy!

3. Chapter 3 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (5096 words)

I'm going to try to cut the chapters differently than I originally had them so there are fewer but each one is longer. Some of them ended up really small on accident, and that's pretty unsatisfactory. What's the point in uploading like 5 words?! Anyway, hope you're still enjoying this!

4. Chapter 4 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (4110 words)

Told you I was going to keep this moving! We should also have another fic going soon on this account again - though I'm going to try to hold off on beginning that one until more of Coven is complete (so I don't wind up in the situation I had with Bind Us/Precious Little Knives lol). Enjoy!

5. Chapter 5 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (3396 words)

This is the end of the first "part", which is the shortest of the three parts. Just worked out that way! Don't worry, the second part will start with chapter six – you don't need to look out for some separate fanfic. Stay tuned for the story to really pick up!

6. Chapter 6 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (6971 words)

Sorry about that huge delay - that was totally unintentional. I've been trying to make a game, which I know, is a completely ridiculous thing for me to do considering I've never tried to do that before. Also, I'm terrible at it as it turns out, haha. BUT! If I ever finish it, you'll be the first to know - I'll also probably post it to AO3 if it's at all possible.

Hopefully, the length of this chapter (and the sheer amount of events set off in it) help to make up for it! We're doing a time-hop forward. Part Two is much longer, and Part Three will be about the same length as Two. Have fun!

7. Chapter 7 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (5361 words)

Sorry for the long waits. I swear I'm not just being lazy (well most of the time), I'm working on other projects that will hopefully see the light of day soon!

8. Chapter 8 by forkanna [Reviews - 1] starstarstarhalf-star (4663 words)

Really, I am sorry about the long delay. Mostly a lot of personal business that doesn't matter in the slightest, haha, but I've also just been really distracted by leisure pursuits and other projects. I promise I haven't forgotten this fic and it will get posted.

9. Chapter 9 by forkanna [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstar (3895 words)

Well... Camp NaNo really shot my plan to keep up with this fic in the arse. I'm still recovering, really. Hopefully you can all forgive me! But I really do want to start posting this regularly until it's completely available now. Time makes fools of us all!

10. Chapter 10 by forkanna [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstar (5486 words)

Here, isn't that better? Wow I really need to step up posting with this. But I am going to try, and this is my first attempt at that. Thanks for hanging in here with me.

11. Chapter 11 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (4573 words)

Life is terrible sometimes. And wonderful sometimes. I've just been going through a few months of "terrible" and am trying to claw my way through to the wonderful side. Thanks for your patience if you're still reading.

12. Chapter 12 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (7420 words)

Maybe we can think of this as a sort of Halloween celebration? Whatever, enjoy!

13. Chapter 13 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (4147 words)

14. Chapter 14 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (4689 words)

15. Chapter 15 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (7008 words)

An extra long chapter this time! It just happened to be the next one, but I figured I would post it tonight in celebration of A Very Wicked Halloween (if you missed it I hope you can find it online - Ariana Grande's performance of "The Wizard And I" was incredible)! Enjoy!


Also... there might be an extra special something coming to this account on All Hallow's Eve itself. Stay tuned.

16. Chapter 16 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (7588 words)

WARNING: Minor character death.

17. Chapter 17 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (7878 words)

18. Chapter 18 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (3741 words)

This is the end of part II, and part III will be the last. Stay tuned for that soon!

Happy Christmas Eve to all!

19. Chapter 19 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (4565 words)

This is where we advance several months. It's also the final story arc for this fic, so I hope you're ready for the final wild ride! (Also my apologies for taking so long to get this up)

20. Chapter 20 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (6004 words)

Trigger warning for racism. To be historically accurate, I should have used a certain word other than "negro" but I can't bring myself to type it.

This chapter and the ones following were hard enough to write as it was. Apologies to anyone who might feel offended or upset by parts of this chapter, but as I said, I was trying for historical accuracy, and sometimes that means writing awful, difficult, uncomfortable things.

Also, I was listening to American McGee's Alice soundtrack while writing these chapters. Seemed to fit.

21. Chapter 21 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (7923 words)

Trigger warning for gross male behaviour and attempted sexual assault. And continuing racism.

And yes, I know it's a dumb thing to throw in a Back To The Future easter egg when that has nothing to do with the Wizard of Oz. Leave me alone and let me have my fun!
I had always intended to have something like this happen in this chapter, but seeing the #MeToo stories after Harvey Weinstein was accused (yes, it was written that long ago) made me feel it was necessary to make sure it was part of the fic, to not just gloss over it. Writing these kind of scenes is always very tricky, especially to make them real and graphic enough to make an impression on the reader without making it seem like I enjoyed writing them. I don't, didn't, and can't. Hopefully this hits the intended note.

22. Chapter 22 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (3141 words)

WARNING: Another attempted assault. Also sorry this chapter is rather short.

23. Chapter 23 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (6510 words)

There will be a very slight touch of transphobia/transgender issues in these coming chapters. I promise it won't get terribly unpleasant, but just a heads up to those who would have more trouble reading such things.

24. Chapter 24 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (5979 words)

Sorry to the Gelphie shippers for these Dozma chapters. I haven't forgotten you! You'll see!

And of course, sorry for taking so long between updates. Boring IRL things distracting me - one of which being Camp NaNoWriMo last month. The upside is, you're about to get not one, but two new fanfics from me soon! so hopefully that makes up for me dragging my feet on getting this one posted.

25. Chapter 25 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (4945 words)

More Dozma for those fans of it!

26. Chapter 26 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (3868 words)

These next chapters will be rather short but the story is winding down. Can't believe it's finally going to be all online! Took me far longer than I ever expected, but I'm glad I began this journey. Thanks to everyone who took it with me despite delays.

27. Chapter 27 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (7298 words)

Minor character death in this chapter. Plus some pretty extended foot massage scene for those who may get squicked, haha.

Also a fair notice: this is the penultimate chapter! The one after this will be an epilogue.

28. Chapter 28 by forkanna [Reviews - 0] (2400 words)

This is it! Wow, I can't believe I've been posting this fanfic for... wow, I started edging close to two years. Not the longest it's taken me to complete one but not the shortest, either. Thanks to all of you who stuck with my little yarn of Oztopian romance, especially given how infrequently it was updated. This one was one of my more ambitious attempts, to be sure.

I thought a nice little flash forward would tie this story up nicely, and I hope most of you (if not all) agree.

Until we meet again,
Jessica X