Skin Changer

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





Author's Chapter Notes:

Picking up right where we left off last chapter!


Anna paused for a moment, hand resting on the doorknob to the ballroom, to close her eyes and take a deep breath. The sheer enormity of what she was about to do - what they were about to do - dawned on her, and she would be lying if she told someone she wasn't mildly terrified.

She supposed that was only to be expected though, if you were about to be engaged to the crown princess of Arendelle. Especially if said princess did not actually inform you of this beforehand, giving you some time to prepare. To wrap your mind around the whole idea of being married in the first place, being married to a woman in the second place, and being married to your best friend in the third place.

But, knowing that she couldn't change anything about it at the moment, and that she had no such luck as to be better prepared, the redhead pushed the door open as she slowly let the breath flow from her lungs.

As soon as she stepped inside, Anna's senses were overwhelmed. The scent of dozens of perfumes mixing together wafted into her nose, causing her crinkle her nose in distaste as she attempted not to gag. Luckily, no one had noticed her yet, all too caught up in their conversations, which, blending together, caused enough of a racket for everyone to have to raise their voices just ever so slightly to be heard.

Anna's eyes skimmed over the crowd, desperately seeking out some familiar face to cling to, someone who could help her keep adrift in this crowd of nobles and royals, where she still did not feel like she actually belonged. Over on her right, on the dais, she could discern Elsa's parents... but that was a can of worms she really wasn't interested in opening right now.

When she panned further to the left, she noticed Olaf, who was surrounded by gentlemen of his own age. As if sensing her gaze on the back of his head, Olaf turned around. Anna almost snickered at the apologetically shocked look Olaf shot her, but she was grateful that he seemed slightly more appeased when she gave him a shy wave.

Anna's search wandered further, and she finally found whom she had been searching. On the far side of the ballroom, she found Elsa and Rapunzel. In a sense it was funny, she thought, how well she knew those two women already. Anyone else would see them and think that they were just having a pleasant and polite conversation.

No one noticed the firm set of Elsa's jaw and the distant look in her eyes. And no one noticed the fiery glint in Rapunzel's eyes, and the way her hand gestures were just a little more animated and forceful than they usually were. Rapunzel was berating Elsa, who was entirely aware of everything she had done wrong. Still, Anna figured, she best go and come to her rescue.

Her feet took off before she could tear her gaze away from Elsa. Miraculously, she didn't hit anyone as she made her way through the crowd. At least not until she was about halfway there, and nearly toppled over a pretty brunette with a dainty gold crown resting atop her elaborate hairdo.

"Oh dear," Anna immediately started. "I am so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going, it was entirely my fault. I hope I didn't spill wine all over you?"

The brunette laughed lightly. "Not to worry. No harm no foul, no?"

"Right," Anna confirmed with a nod, relieved at the fact she hadn't upset some foreign royal with her clumsiness. "Excuse me, I think someone is waiting for me over there."

"I'm sure you're right," the brunette smiled kindly. "Perchance we will see each other again before the night is out, hm?"

Anna gave a quick, non-committal nod as she ducked sideways and in-between a group of chatting gentleman with waxed moustaches, slowly but surely making her way towards Elsa. The closer she came, the clearer it became that Rapunzel's berating was only getting more and more enthusiastic, and Elsa looked properly ashamed of herself.

It wasn't that Anna didn't think Elsa deserved it, because she really had thrown Anna for quite a loop by keeping her out of the loop. But... she still didn't like the look in Elsa's eyes, a mix between confusion, hurt and fear that she would not even wish upon her stepsisters.

Okay, maybe that was a lie. But she definitely didn't want to see that look in Elsa's eyes.

"There you are," Anna blurted as she came within hearing distances. "I've been looking all over for you, Elsa."

"Anna, I-" the blonde started, before immediately being cut off by the redhead.

"Rapunzel, would you mind if I borrowed her for a moment?" Anna asked sweetly.

Clearly, Rapunzel understood that it wasn't actually a question. She gave a nod with a small smile, and squeezed Anna's shoulder as she passed by them. "Certainly. I've been waiting for you to show up so I could go and have a look at all that chocolate over there."

Anna looked to follow Rapunzel's gaze, seeing a large table filled with chocolate, lined up against one of the walls. Somewhere down the line, she definitely had to go and have a better look at that.

"Um. Okay. Have... fun?"

"Oh, I will," Rapunzel grinned impishly. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

Anna smiled as the unspoken question registered in her mind. Will you still be here tomorrow? Are you and Elsa going to be okay?

Anna gave her a reassuring nod, before turning to Elsa. "Walk with me, please?"

Elsa wavered for a moment, seeming torn between walking and talking with Anna, and running like the demons from hell were on her tail. Anna decided to make the decision for her. "It wasn't as much as a question as it was a demand," she smiled, hoping it did not come off as too demanding. "I think it's the least you can do for me."

Elsa gave her a resigned little nod, demurely hooking their arms together and walking onwards, no clear destination in mind. If Anna had expected Elsa to start the conversation, she would have been sorely disappointed. "So... engagement, huh?" she started, trying to keep her tone light.

"I am so sorry," Elsa mumbled, looking as if she were about to cry.

Anna moved her head from side to side. "I confess it threw me for quite a loop when Rapunzel told me. I would have liked to have heard it from you, at least..."

Elsa nodded. "I know... I tried to tell you so many times... But my courage left me every time."

"I'm not that scary, am I?" Anna asked softly. "Did I ever do something to make you think you couldn't talk to me?"

At the sound of sadness, confusion and insecurity in Anna's voice, Elsa seemed to freeze, turning towards her and taking both of her hands in her own. "No, Anna. It's not you, never. I was just a coward."

Anna gave a curt nod as they continued walking. "So... How do we move on from here?"

Elsa hummed under her breath. "Well, I was hoping that, after tonight, we could still be friends. But I totally understand if you'd prefer to go back to-"

"I actually meant that question to be more in terms of our apparent impending engagement," Anna interrupted. "And I'm sure we'll still be friends, and I see no reason to suddenly flee from the castle. Unless you want me to go, but you told me several times that you don't, so I'll just go ahead and run with that answer until you tell me differently."

"Well, the announcement of the engagement is all rumours. I've never actually confirmed it, nor has anyone else. So we can just move on with the night and pretend that it's all just a misunderstanding and-"

Before Elsa could finish her response, they were interrupted by an elderly couple, who introduced themselves as the Duke and Duchess of somewhere-far-away and animatedly shook their hands. "Your Highness. We were surprised when the news of your engagement reached us. We just had to come out and see it for ourselves. You both must be so thrilled about the prospect!" the lady gushed.

Elsa raised a hand as she started speaking. "To be honest-"

"Yes, we certainly are," Anna smiled demurely, batting her lashes at Elsa. "I'm pretty sure I'm the luckiest girl in the world."

The look of pure and utter shock on Elsa's face made it hard for Anna to keep the charade up and keep herself from laughing. She also realized that, now that she had confirmed the rumours, there was absolutely no way to back out of it without humiliating the both of them.

Elsa had offered her an out, and Anna had refused to take it.

"Well, if I may be so free as to say it," the gentleman smiled kindly, "I think Her Highness is equally as lucky to have found you."

"That's very kind of you," Anna smiled shyly, ducking her head.

The two of them toddled off towards the snacks, and Elsa nearly pulled Anna from her feet when she started walking again. "Do you have any idea what you've just done?" she asked in a low voice, making sure not to be overheard.

"Yes," Anna responded simply.

"You just confirmed the rumours, Anna. If we don't get engaged tonight, the whole kingdom will be talking about it. And the neighbouring kingdoms to boot."

Anna sighed. "I said I knew what I had done, Elsa. No need to spell it out."

"Then why?" the blonde demanded.

"Well," Anna started, pulling her and Elsa towards a more secluded spot. "Since you didn't actually talk to me about all of this beforehand, you probably have no clue about what I feel. You avoided the conversation because you were afraid of rejection, but apparently the thought that I might want to be engaged, and married, to you never crossed your mind."

Elsa stared back at her, entirely flabbergasted. "But-"

"Is it really so unimaginable that I might be romantically interested in you as well, Elsa? With your perfect hair, and your perfect eyes, and your perfect face, and your perfect everything? You're kind and polite, and loving, and caring. Is it really such a stretch for me to feel the same way about you as you do about me?"

"I... suppose not," Elsa conceded. "But you never-"

Anna sighed, rubbing her temple. "I know. I... only figured this out recently for myself. Like I said, when Rapunzel told me, it threw me for quite a loop and forced me to take a good look at my own feelings. All of this would have been so much easier if you'd just come to me a bit sooner."

"I... I know," Elsa sighed sadly. "So, you're not angry with me?"

Anna laughed without any humor. "Oh, I'm angry with you, alright. But tonight is not the night to talk about all of that, and I'm not letting my anger get in the way of something this big. I'll be honest with you, I'm still really confused. I'm not entirely certain of what I'm feeling, at all. But I can imagine the two of us together, getting old, sharing a life. So, tonight, you're going to propose to me, just like you've planned. And, spoiler alert, I'll say yes."

Elsa took a deep breath, appearing as shocked as Anna had felt before the ball started. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Anna confirmed. "However, first thing tomorrow we're having breakfast together. You and me. No Olaf, no Rapunzel, no parents. Just the two of us. And we're going to have a long, difficult conversation about the topics of marriage, future, and the importance of open communication."

Elsa gave her a firm nod. "I think that's a brilliant idea."

Anna smiled up at her. "Of course it is. Now let's go and pretend like this night has not been a complete mess of confusion and emotions for the both of us."

Elsa nodded again. "Would you be opposed to walking by my parents to let them know I did not bring the kingdom to ruin?"

Anna laughed under her breath. "No, I think we should probably go and do that. I imagine they have known about your plans for a while?"

"Yes. And, before you ask, they entirely approve of my choice in spouses. They'd love to have you as their daughter-in-law. They do not approve, however, of my... inability to..."

"Say no more," Anna interrupted. "I'm pretty sure I get the picture."

They reached the king and queen without further interruptions, and Anna imagined that being stared down by the two of them felt akin so some sort of inquisition without questions. Finally, the queen smiled gently. "Anna, I'm so glad to see that the two of you have... worked everything out."

"Me too," Anna smiled in return. "We still have a fair bit of talking to do, but we agreed to put that off until tomorrow."

The king cleared his throat nervously. "Does that mean that the engagement is-"

"We'll be announcing it in an hour or so," Elsa cut in.

"Ah, I see. Very good. It would be embarrassing for everyone if it weren't to take place after all the rumour you've started..."

"I didn't start any rumours, Father," Elsa corrected. "Things just tend to get a life of their own around here."

"Well, you can't blame people for talking when you invite a lovely young lady to live in the castle with you, and then take her to a play, have dresses and jewellery made for her, and persistently bug the royal florist for fresh bouquets," the queen laughed, causing Elsa to turn beet-red.

"For what it's worth," Anna whispered in her ear as they walked away, "I think it's really cute."

Before they could walk a few feet onwards, Olaf skidded to a halt in front of them. "Did you guys figure it out?" he asked, sounding out of breath. "I mean, Anna, I'd have told you, but everyone kept telling me that it wasn't my business and that I shouldn't butt in. But really, it was painful to watch how clueless you were and-"

"Hey!" Anna interrupted in mock-outrage. "Are you calling me stupid?"

Olaf wavered for a brief moment. "No... Not really. More like, dense maybe? Yes. Definitely dense. Not stupid, though."

Seeing as he at least had the decency to look apologetic, Anna decided to cut him some slack. "Fine. I can live with dense. Keep that in mind for the next time, and make your hints more obvious, please..."

Olaf gave her an exaggerated bow. "Very well, Milady. I shall keep that in mind. Now, if you'd excuse me, I see a lovely lady standing on her own."

Olaf walked off with a ridiculous strut, causing Anna and Elsa both to snicker as they continued their own walk around the ballroom, nodding to total strangers, and exchanging pleasantries with the few that actually approached them.

"So, Anna forgave you for your idiocy, huh?" Rapunzel's voice suddenly sounded from behind them. They pivoted around the find the tiny brunette standing there, hands resting on her hips and still looking royally angry.

"Yes, she did," Elsa conceded with a dip of her head.

Rapunzel turned her attention towards Anna. "Does that mean I can stop being angry at her?"

Anna chuckled. "No need to keep up appearances for my sake."

Rapunzel launched forward, wrapping the two of them in a very un-royal hug. "Thank goodness. It wasn't fun at all to be berating you all the time, Elsa. I hope I didn't go too far."

"You didn't," Elsa assured her, returning the hug gently.

"Good. Because you totally deserved all of it," Rapunzel smiled impishly as she pulled back.

"Trust me, I know," the blonde smiled in return.

And just like that, the petite princess dashed off without further explanation, leaving a throng of annoyed and disgruntled guests in her wake as she sped in between them.

As they continued to walk, Anna noticed a presence behind her. She inconspicuously peered over her shoulder to find a small, elderly gentleman standing behind them, busily rubbing a piece of cloth over his monocle.

Anna didn't think much of it, until she noticed him walking behind them again after a few minutes. A few minutes after that, he was casually standing behind them as Elsa talked to some ambassador from somewhere-or-other. Fifteen minutes after that, he was standing beside them as they decided which snacks to indulge in.

When she was reasonably certain that he was out of earshot, and she and Elsa were on the move again, she gently nudged the blonde's side. "We're being followed."

To her surprise, Elsa sighed. "A small man, wearing a monocle and a horrible looking toupee?"

Anna nodded mutely, because there really wasn't much for her to add to Elsa's description.

"That's just the Duke of Weselton. He wants us to notice him and engage in conversation. If we're lucky, he'll either get distracted or he will lose interest. If we're not-"

"Your Highness," a squeaky voice interrupted. "Such a pleasure to see you again."

Elsa's arm noticeably stiffened as the Duke walked up to them with an exaggerated spring in his step. "And I see your friend is keeping you company."

Elsa's smile was more of a forced grimace than anything else. "Anna, meet the Duke of Weselton. Sir, Anna Anderson."

"You must be very good friends, for you to be staying here and all," the Duke smiled.

"We're a little more than friends, sir," Anna responded with a fake smile of her own.

"Ah," the man murmured, hastily pulling his hand back. "So the rumour is true, then?"

"If you are referring to our engagement," Elsa answered testily, "then yes. We'll be announcing it tonight."

The man's pleasant countenance turned into one of apparent disgust and disapproval within the blink of an eye. "That's unfortunate. I didn't want to believe what everyone was saying, Your Highness. I've always thought quite highly of you."

"And now you don't, because I decided to marry a woman?" Elsa countered, keeping her cool.

"Indeed. It's unnatural. It disgusts me! It's an abomination," the man sputtered, jumping up and down in agitation. For a moment, it looked as if he would jump them, but before he could even decide to do so, Kristoff stepped in between them.

"Keep it down, old timer, or I'll have to escort you outside," Kristoff said in an intimidating baritone.

The man huffed one final time, before spinning on his heels and stalking off to the other side of the ballroom. Kristoff just watched him go, before turning towards the two of them. "Glad to see you two finallyfigured everything out. If you need me, I'll be lurking in the shadows."

And just like that he disappeared out of sight again, leaving Anna to wonder if he were some kind of magician. Then again, disappearing in a room this crowded wasn't exactly difficult.

Anna was about to ask whatever had just happened, but Elsa already spoke before she could utter the first syllable. "He is offended because I decided to marry a peasant woman over one of his sons," the blonde shrugged. "I'm sure he'll get over it. Eventually."

"If you say so," Anna murmured uncertainly, looking at the retreating form of the small duke. As she watched him disappear from view, she walked up to something that was a startlingly familiar shade of yellow.

"Twice in one night," the familiar voice of the woman she had almost toppled over before laughed. "I'm beginning to think you're searching me out. Oh, Elsa, hello. You look well."

"Belle," Elsa smiled in return, giving the woman a loose hug. "I assume you've met Anna?"

"Yes, we ran into one another earlier tonight," the brunette smiled. "Proper introductions, we did not have, though."

"I see," Elsa smiled. "Well, Belle, this is Anna Anderson. Anna, this is Belle. She's the princess of France."

"Oh my," Anna stammered. "Again, I'm so sorry. Like, even more than before. I mean, I was sorry before but-"

"I assure you it is quite fine," the brunette princess laughed daintily. "I am sure you had no ill intentions."

"Belle and I have been friends since we were little," Elsa smiled. "Although, generally, we do not get to see each other more than twice a year."

Belle nodded sadly. "So, my friend, the rumours are true?"

Elsa nodded as well. "Yes. Although I'll go crazy if anyone asks me that question one more time tonight."

"The only way to prevent that is to make the announcement, non?"

Elsa looked at Anna, who gave her a determined nod. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

"Famous last words," Elsa muttered with a wry smile, waving Belle goodbye. "You do know that the announcement is generally concluded with a kiss, correct?"

Anna had read enough romance novels to know that that was generally how things went, so she nodded demurely. "Yes, I'm aware of that."

"And you're alright with that?" Elsa asked uncertainly.

Anna heaved a deep sigh. "Yeah. I'm good."

With an understanding nod, Elsa led her to the dais, where they met up with the king and queen again. After a single hand gesture towards one of the guards, the sound of trumpets suddenly caused the entire ballroom to fall silent.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Her Royal Highness, Princess Elsa of Arendelle," a herald called loudly, catching the attention of the few people that were still murmuring.

Anna had to admit she was impressed by the calm façade Elsa managed to present to the ballroom. Anna knew she was pretty close to terrified, evidenced by the barely-noticeable trembling of her hands, and the drop of sweat rolling down her neck.

"Everyone, welcome to Arendelle. I'm glad to see that you could all join us for tonight's momentous occasion. I'm certain that many, if not all, of you have heard the rumours regarding the reason for tonight's ball."

There was a slight lull while everyone murmured with their neighbour, before returning their attention back to Elsa.

"Some time ago, I met the most wonderful person," the blonde continued. "And in a place where I least expected to find love, I did just that. Many of you would call our relationship unconventional. And I would be the last to disagree with that statement. But not for any of the reasons you would name. Not because she is a woman. Not because she is not of royal, or even noble, descent.

Our relationship is unconventional because every relationship is. Two people, loving each other, wanting to spend their lives together... is the most beautiful thing I can imagine. And I want to spend the rest of my life with Anna. So," Elsa paused, turning towards Anna and magically producing a small box from... somewhere.

"Anna Anderson, would you do me the honour of marrying me?" she asked, holding out the prettiest ring Anna had ever seen.

"I would love to," Anna smiled, pulling Elsa just a little bit closer towards her as the blonde slipped the ring around Anna's finger. "The honour would be all mine."

Elsa kept moving closer while the crowd applauded and cheered. So close that Anna could smell the chocolate they had just had on the princess' breath. So close that she could see the tiniest freckles dotting the bridge of her nose. As their lips touched, Anna closer her eyes and released a happy, content sigh.

The kiss was chaste, and never seemed to end.

And Anna wasn't sure she ever wanted it to end, either.