Skin Changer

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +






The next day, Anna arose on the alarm clock's first chime, not falling for the snooze button's seductive charms. Perhaps it was the adrenaline, the promise of a good day. She had time to do the things she'd accidentally neglect, like make sure her clothing was right-side out, that sort of thing. She even had a chance to fix her hair into the two braids she'd claimed was her signature style way back before this whole waking up early garbage.

 

With ample amounts of time left, she moseyed through the parking lot. Her car was parked beside Elsa's again, both dark, empty. She reeled back, puzzled; could it be, somehow she was earlier than Elsa?

 

She heard heels on pavement, turned toward the sound, and there was the girl in question under the single working light in the parking lot of the apartment complex. Click, clack, click clack. Anna whistled a two-toned tweet at Elsa, who packed papers into her purse. She looked up at the sound of the song and laughed lightly at its wildly waving singer, eyebrows coming together in mild confusion as she click-clacked closer.

 

"Well, aren't you early," she brought her arm up to glance at her wrist watch, "unless I'm late?"

 

Anna rolled her eyes, "like you could ever be late," and grinned gleefully as Elsa came to a stop. Almost close enough to touch, almost close enough to hug.

 

"Is that a challenge?" Elsa teased. She glanced at her car and unlocked it, Anna stuffed her hands in her pockets.

 

"I had a great time yesterday. Thank you."

 

"You've already thanked me —"

 

"—Okay, then I wanna thank you again," Anna emphasized with a single nod. "Coming to the Den?"

 

She hummed in thought. "Perhaps. Will I see you there?"

 

Anna sashayed sassily to her car and unlocked it. "Perhaps," she stated and smiled and waved goodbye. As she drove away, she thought to herself, if Elsa was always going to be her first interaction of the day, she could count on everyday being the best.

 

She took the roads slow. At a usual intersection, all lights blinking red, she was reminded that just a day ago they'd been at this exact spot. Elsa turned right here, though, she thought. And as she considered ignoring her adventurous impulses and going straight through the light, her hands decided for her and turned the wheel of their own accord. She briefly feared she'd get lost on such an unknown road and become late for work, then waved the feeling away like it was a big stink.

 

Patches of fog rolled over the desolate road. It was the same neighborhood that they had been down just the day before, without the rain. The moon shone brightly onto the rooftops of the houses and awnings of the windows, illuminating the purposefully protruding features. Her foot pressed down on the gas pedal, harder and harder until she felt the floor. The engine revved and she zoomed down the road, houses flew by. They turned to distant shapeless blurs as she passed them and then the open field. She was beside the lake, the moonlight danced across its surface as it tried to keep up with her. She was beginning to understand why Elsa enjoyed driving this early in the morning.

 

Anna never knew how good it felt to be alone, and had never felt less lonely.

 

She must've had a happy, starstruck demeanor about her when she pulled up to work. Kristoff took one look at her and his eyebrows shot up, "wow, you almost look like you got up on the right side of the bed this morning," he yawned and stuck the key into the door, "heck, you even look like you got out of bed this morning." Anna let out a single elongated "haaaaaaa" as he unlocked the door.

 

Around 6am, Elsa's car drove into the parking lot. The sun began to rise. Anna watched her pull into a parking spot.

 

"Oh, is Elsa here?" Kristoff asked, pouring beans into the grinder. Of course he could tell from the– apparently poorly concealed– excitement on her face. "She's later than usual." Anna was impressed that Kristoff happened to know a detail like that and opened her mouth to say so when he continued, "I thought she was a vampire on account of the fact that I've never seen her in daylight. Guess I was wrong."

 

Flabbergasted. That was all she could be. "Kris, seriously?" He half-shrugged in response. "If she was a vampire, she couldn't come inside without being invited."

 

It was his turn to be flabbergasted, maybe even a little offended as he had clearly already thought of that. "Uh, hello! Our door says 'welcome' right on the front of it!" Said door swung open with a small chime and Anna shot Kristoff one last glare and a shh over the headset before greeting Elsa with a smirk.

 

"Alright, you. Coming in fashionably late, I see. Ready for something new?" Elsa nodded with a small yes. Anna didn't bother to stay near the register, lest Elsa stubbornly try to buy her own drinks again, and went straight to the espresso machine. "This one will taste like robust coffee- I know what you're thinking, 'I don't like the taste of the stuff, didn't you see me cringe yesterday morning after the tiniest sip of that so-called coffee, yadda yadda', I know, I know. But this is different!"

 

Elsa didn't miss a beat, "I bet you say that to all the girls."

 

"I sure do, pay attention," Anna pressed seemingly random buttons on the machine. "It's literally the perfect latte, called a flat white. It's masterfully created using microfoam and sweet ristretto shots. According to the latest edition of the Anna Coffee Course syllabus, we've gotta expand your palette before honing in on a favorite."

 

Anna pulled shots and tamped perfect milk on the counter a few times before pouring them together. Traditionally, the drink was supposed to be marked on top with a single dot, formed from smooth foamed milk and Anna knew that. She'd made the drink many a time. Yet she couldn't help herself and, with a practiced hand, swiftly dragged the milk down to make a white heart. Elsa won't see it anyway, she reasoned and promptly lidded it.

 

The moment of truth came as Anna pushed it across the counter. Elsa eyed it and then Anna, like a deer being offered food from a hand; cautious yet willing. She grasped the cup with both hands and took a sip from it. Anna was more invested in watching than she'd thought she'd be and tried to busy herself with making the modified second drink. She steamed some more milk and Elsa pulled the cup from her mouth, face imperceptible. Then unexpectedly, she went in for another sip and came back with the same expression. By the third sip, Anna'd finished making the other drink and spoke up. "Okay, I- honestly, I can't tell if you like it or not. I need like, a smile or a pout or... y'know, give me something to work with here."

 

Elsa took a look at Anna and then, sass lining her features, went in for another audibly exaggerated sip.

 

"It's not bad," she started, pulling the cup from her lips, "I can see the appeal. But it is sort of..." She searched for the word and came back empty.

 

"Earthy?" Anna offered. "That's the word I use when I don't want to say 'it tastes like dirt'." Elsa laughed.

 

"Yes, that's it. Earthy. It's a well-crafted cup of dirt."

 

Anna mock-bowed, "that's my forte," and placed a lid on the second drink. "Here, try this. I'm not really, uh," she scratched the back of her neck, "I'm not entirely sure how I made this. I wasn't really-, you distracted me. Anywhooo, I know that it's got the components of a flat white and then some caramel, white chocolate..." She went to hand the drink over.

 

Elsa chuckled. "I'm sensing a theme in what kind of flavors you like," she said and reached for the cup.

 

Their fingers grazed. A light brush, barely a touch, and it was enough for her synapses to go haywire and her insides to explode. She let go and brought her hands together in a tight clasp in front of herself, keep it together, KEEP IT TOGETHER.

 

Elsa took a careful sip and reeled back in delight. "Wow, this is," she smacked her lips together delicately, "rich, sweet, a little salty... I like it." She graciously gulped the drink.

 

Anna was elated, "you do?"

 

She nodded. "I do. A lot. This is how people get into coffee. It's a gateway drug, isn't it?"

 

Anna bit her lip and suppressed the urge to say gateway mug as she began to clean up. Elsa continued to sip happily.

 

"Elsa, I was sort of... wondering." Anna paused with the pitcher in hand. "Would you like to go for another ride? I can drive. I don't work tomorrow."

 

"Yes, I'd love to." And Anna smiled a big smile that made her cheeks hurt.

 

Elsa peered over the cup at her. "Your braids look nice, by the way. They suit you well." She took another hearty sip. "I'll see you tomorrow then?"

 

Anna tried to be cocky and waggled her eyebrows. She stuttered on her first try, "i-it's," cleared her throat, looked Elsa right in the eyes, and annunciated.

 

"It's a date."

 


 

Anna didn't really sleep. Her alarm went off and immediately she felt excited and tired and so very exhausted. She got ready nevertheless. In the middle of brushing her teeth, she looked at the ends of her hair draped over her shoulders and was reminded of Elsa complimenting her braids. The toothbrush hung from her mouth as she mindlessly let go of it and began braiding her hair, no stray hair forgotten. When done, she gave herself a foamy smile in the mirror.

 

Elsa was already waiting beside their cars when Anna went outside. "Good morning, Anna. Mind if I drive again today?" Anna jogged over to her with a small mornin'.

 

"Uh, you know," she panted, "even though I offered yesterday, I was kinda hoping you would."

 

They drove down the main road, a long one that led to a highway divergent. Anna took note of the lack of houses and thought to herself, finally. She rolled down the window, letting the wind blast in and she unbuckled her seatbelt. She took a look at a perplexed Elsa before she shoved her face outside and reared back with a big gulp of air.

 

"WAHOOOOOOO!"

 

Her grip on the car door loosened as she stuck her head back inside the vehicle.

 

"What was that?" Elsa asked over the wind.

 

"I really wanted to do this that other day but it was raining so hard and I thought maybe it would feel like bullets pelting me in the face," Anna said and stuck her head out again for more whooping and hollering.

 

Elsa nodded, more to herself as Anna was occupied, and rolled down her own window. She set the cruise control and took a deep breath.

 

"YEEEEEAAAAH!" She shouted outside and immediately laughed just as loud. Anna turned to look at her and everything stood still. Elsa's face was lit up by the passing amber city lights and her own honest-to-goodness happiness. She was outstanding, and Anna couldn't express how lucky she felt that she was the only witness of this moment. Like this moment was made for her.

 

And that's when Anna realized that this wasn't just a simple little crush.

 

"Oh, crap," she breathed out shakily. The wind smacked her braids into her face uncomfortably.

 

Elsa came back inside the car, laughing breathlessly. "Now that was exciting!"

 

Anna rolled her window up and Elsa followed. "Yeah it, uh," she ran a hand through her bangs, "it sorta made me a little thirsty."

 

Elsa agreed. "Diner?"

 

"Diner."

 

Elsa turned on the stereo and cranked the music up.

 


 

It was almost deja vu. They sat at the same booth as last time and were met by the same waitress with the same out-of-place perkiness. There were two other patrons engaged in mild conversation with each other, and that coupled with the low music playing over hidden speakers kept the volume at a dull roar.

 

"Can I please get a hot cocoa?" Anna asked the waitress after they were greeted, and as a shy afterthought, she muttered, "with extra whipped cream, please."

 

Elsa, eyes wide and taken aback, asked for the same and a cup of water. The waitress wrote and smiled and left them alone.

 

"You aren't getting coffee this time?"

 

Anna pretended to look over the menu. "Someone once taught me that instead of caffeine, all I need is some loud Scottish music."

 

That emitted a soft laugh from Elsa. She opened her own provided menu. "So, what do you want to do today?"

 

"I have to decide?"

 

"Well," Elsa coolly flipped a page, "you invited me this time. You get to pick the itinerary."

 

Anna wasn't sure what to do, but was certain of one thing: she was determined to eat something from the diner this time. Her stomach had different plans, on the other hand, as it grumbled unhappily when she opened the menu. Elsa placed her hand on Anna's menu to garner her attention. "Psst, do you want to split some cheese fries?"

 

"Only if they're exactly what they sound like," she replied. Their eyes met and, out of nerves or habit (she couldn't decide), Anna tucked hair behind her ear. This action prompted her to look away and upon doing so, saw the end of their table and hid a laugh behind her hand. "Elsa, do you think..." she pointed to it with her free hand. Elsa leaned over the table, eyes focused on the direction Anna was pointing, "...that's because of us?"

 

At the end of their booth, there were about forty or fifty of those creamers stacked pyramid style. It was like that on every table around. Anna no longer stifled her chuckles as Elsa let loose a boisterous laugh. Their faces weren't that far away from each other and Anna couldn't peel her eyes from Elsa's lips.

 

The waitress brought a tray carrying the two hot cocoas with overflowing whipped cream and a glass of water to the table. Anna tore her eyes from Elsa's mouth and they landed on the glass of water. She watched as the waitress set it down- the overhead bulbs reflecting off the ripples, little waves dancing in the white light. She was so lost in thought and missed some of the conversation only to speak up after Elsa ordered the cheese fries.

 

"To go, please," she said definitively.

 

"Oh, we're leaving?" Elsa dragged a finger through her whipped cream and stuck the small pile in her mouth.

 

"Yeah, I think I-" Anna finally looked away from the water and right at Elsa, "I know what I want to do."

 


 

Anna pointed to streets, delayed directions streaming out of her, maybe it's this turn WAIT WAIT it's this one. Elsa didn't complain, only complied. They went down that nearly-familiar road by the houses and field, the sky brightening with each passing minute. Anna looked out of the windows intently and nearly gave Elsa a dang heart attack when she leaned over on her side and gleefully shouted, "ooh! Here's good!"

 

Anna all but rolled out of the car and giggled, "come on, come on!" Elsa followed with the to-go box of cheesy fries and a drink carrier of styrofoam cups. Anna abruptly sat down next to the largest tree, a mini-forest of trees behind it. Roots protruded from the ground like uneven wooden stairs and the lake in front presented like a stage. The geese were plentiful and quiet, not yet awake as the sun's rays creeped above the horizon.

 

They sat there, steaming styrofoam cups in hand. Anna was too awestruck by the peacefulness of the fresh morning air to lead a conversation and stuffed a handful of cheesy fries in her mouth instead. She then yawned and, in an act of both bravery and weariness, huddled close and leaned her head on Elsa's shoulder.

 

"This is really incredible, Anna." Elsa blew into her cup to cool it down and took a small sip.

 

Anna wasn't one for observation. She never took note of moments. Subtleties and particulars are usually lost upon her. But in this instance, time froze and gave her the chance to gaze, to linger. She soaked up each tiny detail of their surroundings, of the lake. Of the sleeping geese and the cotton candy sky. Of those darn delicious fries and of how the cheese clung to her fingers. Of Elsa, of how she'd said her name, of how it never sounded better. As she leaned more and more on Elsa's shoulder and her eyes grew heavier, the words just slipped out:

 

"You make mornings worth waking up for."